Refried beans, cheese, romaine, crumbled tortilla chips, and ranch dressing top this taco pizza. Simply put: “Wow.”
Do you like taco pizza? Alex and I have spent a lot of time perfecting our recipes for Italian pizza dough and sauce here at A Couple Cooks. We even went to Italy to do some investigating. Our new favourite pizza recipe isn’t even Italian. It’s a pizza with tacos on it, you say? The bottom crust is Italian in style, while the top is a taco pizza made in the traditional way and delivered to your door. The quality is really crazy. Oh, and it’s finished off with some homemade ranch and crispy tortilla chips. Learn the recipe right here!
Recipe for Taco Pizza
The majority of our pizza recipes are based on traditional Italian methods. However, we have decided to go renegade. We present our version of taco pizza, made in the American way. In Alex’s youth, he sometimes indulged in a taco pizza like this one, which his family got from a certain well-known pizza delivery chain (which will remain nameless). The surprising twist on this pizza is that it’s really rather healthy, with plenty of nutritious vegetables and not too much cheese. Learn from our mistakes and prepare the most delicious taco pizza you’ve ever had!
Replace the tomato sauce with refried beans.
The nicest part about a taco pizza is the thin coating of refried beans that replaces the traditional red pizza sauce. If you haven’t tried it before, you’re missing out. Put in a can of the refried beans you like most. There are also pre-flavored options. If they taste dull, season with salt and cumin. Or invent your own! Try some of our Instant Pot Refried Beans or Homemade Refried Beans.
Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.
Vegetables have been piled high on this taco pizza since it is meatless. In addition to the refried beans, this dish also has black olives, green onions, and tomatoes. Romaine lettuce, chopped, provides the ideal amount of crunch.
The secret ingredient: a heaping helping of tortilla chips and ranch dressing.
Alex’s recommendations on how to make the best taco pizza possible. Taco chips with ranch dressing. Greek yoghurt gives this Homemade Ranch Dressing a unique flavour and texture while also adding a nutritional boost, making it the ideal ranch dressing. This taco pizza is heaven sent with this topping. I implore you to give this a go. Stat.
No tacos on your pizza? Put it in if you want to!
It may be argued that the taco pizza would be incomplete without the taco meat. And don’t be afraid to throw in your own! Both Alex and I adhere to a primarily vegetarian diet. We do sometimes consume meat, but we really appreciate that this pizza is so excellent that it doesn’t even require meat to stand out. It’s one of the greatest vegetarian meals for meat lovers, in our opinion. Give it a go and tell us what you think.
Make pizzas using our top-quality dough (or thin crust).
Our greatest pizza dough recipe is ten years in the making and is the foundation of all our best pizza recipes. It’s light and airy, with a rich taste. Make use of our thin pizza dough if you prefer. In addition to being even more convenient than regular crust, thin crust is also somewhat more nutritious (less dough, less calories overall).
A pizza stone and peel are required equipment.
The optimal temperature and baking time for pizza. Using a pizza stone. It heats the pizza to a blistering temperature, resulting in a crust that is both crunchy and chewy. Then, a pizza peel is needed to transfer the dough directly to the heated stone. If you don’t have a silicone baking mat, you may use a baking sheet instead. The ones we utilise are listed below.
- The Best Stone for Pizza Only $36
- Obtaining an aluminium pizza peel for about $20
Here’s a recipe for a taco pizza that’s…
Vegetarian. Remove the cheese and substitute our Vegan Ranch for a plant-based, dairy-free option.
- 1.5 ounces of the finest pizza dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1/3 can of refried pinto beans (or Homemade Refried Beans)
- quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions
- 1 cup sliced black olives, canned
- One-half head of romaine
- Equal to 1/2 tomato or 3 cherry tomatoes
- The equivalent of 2 tablespoons Authentic Home-Made Western Ranch Dressing
- Three natural corn tortilla chips
- Garnish with some hot sauce.
- The use of kosher salt
- Dusting the pizza peel with semolina flour or cornmeal.
- Get down to business with the pizza dough: Prepare the dough in accordance with the Best Pizza Dough recipe. (Preparation time is about 15 minutes, and resting time is around 45 minutes.)
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a pizza stone inside. OR fire up a pizza oven (this is the one we use).
- Assemble the condiments: Try some of the refried beans and season them with cumin and kosher salt, if desired. ((Ours were already well aged.) You should cut the green onion into very thin slices. The romaine lettuce should be chopped. Remove the stems and chop the tomatoes.
- Put pizza in the oven: Dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour when the oven is ready to go in. (You may use the back of a rimmed baking sheet or a rimless baking sheet if you don’t have a pizza peel. However, a pizza peel is a worthwhile purchase. See How to Stretch Pizza Dough for details on how to shape the dough into a circular. Carefully transfer the dough on the pizza stone.
- Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of refried beans over the dough. Mix in the cheddar, then sprinkle over the olives and a quarter of the scallions. Add a little bit of high-quality salt, such as kosher salt, for flavour.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel onto the hot pizza stone. Toast the pizza for 5–7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden (or 1 minute in a pizza oven).
- Finished with saved green onions, chopped tomatoes, romaine, and crumbled tortilla chips. Sprinkle on some spicy sauce and ranch dressing, if you want. Cut into slices and serve at once.
|Pizza Recipes||click here|